Swim Instructor Certification
Our next class starts February 4th | Register Now
We will also have a 4 day intensive class from 2/27-3/2. All materials must be completed online before the class begins. Registration Link Coming Soon
The Gordon JCC trains and certifies swim instructors using the “gold standard” Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Course. You can earn your certification to teach American Red Cross swimming and water safety, and gain the skills needed to teach courses and make presentations to swimmers of every age and ability. Through our Swim Instructor Training program, you can help recreational swimmers meet their goals, refine their skills and stay safe in, on, and around water.
The Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
This course trains instructor candidates to teach all of the courses presented in the Swimming and Water Safety program to all age groups. Upon completion of this course, Water Safety Instructors are certified to teach the fundamental Learn-to-swim courses including Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn-to-Swim Levels 1-3 and private swimming lessons (for the courses listed), plus Learn-to-Swim Levels 4-6 and Adult Swim. This certification is the gold standard and provides the most comprehensive training for swim instructors.
What You’ll Learn
During our swim instructor certification training courses you’ll learn how to help individuals enjoy their time in the water safely – and in a wide range of ways. Throughout the courses we’ll focus on a number of key areas that can help you succeed as an aquatics instructor, including:
- Water safety at public pools, homes, natural bodies of water and more, including the Circle of Drowning Prevention and Chain of Drowning Survival.
- Hydrodynamics, including why some things float, resistance to movement and creating movement in water, swimming efficiency and laws of levers.
- Basic safety, survival and swimming skills to help children gain water competency.
- Helping people with disabilities and other health conditions enjoy the water safely.
Water Safety Instructors will also learn how to teach:
- Higher-level swim skills that help prepare people of all ages for any aquatic activity.
- Stroke mechanics for all competitive strokes as well as starts, turns and headfirst entries.
- Water safety certification courses, including Safety Training for Swim Coaches and Basic Water Rescue.
- Fundamentals of diving from a diving board.
- Aquatic fitness and training for people of any age.
- The 30 hour course is taught over two weeks and weekends. February 4th class schedule:
|Mon. Feb 4||4-8pm|
|Wed. Feb 6||4-8pm|
|Sun. Feb 10||9am-4pm|
|Mon. Feb 11||4-8pm|
|Wed. Feb 14||4-8pm|
|Sun. Feb 17||9am-4pm|
Note: In order to participate in Water Safety Instructor certification classes, participants must be at least 16 years of age by the end of the course.